By the end of 2017, John Tsai was exhausted from working 18 hours a day, seven days a week, door-knocking and cold-calling as a real estate agent at a Vancouver, British Columbia-based brokerage. He wanted to build something that could generate multiple streams of income, but the $500,000 cost of purchasing a real estate franchise was too steep.
“And then eXp Realty came along and they promised revenue share, stocks and lead generation,” John said. “It was something that I could not believe that I could get with only a $199 start-up fee. I decided to take the plunge, and it all worked out. I went from working seven days a week to four days a week. Now having revenue share income, I can actually spend time with my family.”
Since joining eXp Realty in 2019, John has earned ICON Agent status every year, and is on track to be an ICON again in 2022. The eXp Realty ICON Agent Award is reserved for agents who achieve exceptional production goals and positively impact company culture. This honor signals that these agents are leaders in their field and serve as examples to their colleagues by upholding the core values of eXp Realty.
His goals for 2022 at eXp Realty are to exceed 200 closings with his team and to build a revenue share group of more than 1,000 agents. He would also love to teach more eXp University classes in eXp World. In 2020, he was a guest instructor for the “Rev Up! An Agent Attraction Class.” John also hosts a podcast and YouTube channel to help real estate agents double, triple and quadruple their production income.
“The one thing that I did not expect was the collaboration and culture that the company has,” John said. “We are all working as one team. This is not seen in any other brokerage. I am truly grateful to be here.”
Learn more about John Tsai:
Years in real estate: Since 2006
Gross sales and transactions in 2021: 170 closed, plus 30 pending for $170 million
- eXp Realty (2019-current)
- Rennie & Associates Realty (2007-2019)
- Royal Pacific Realty (2006-2007)
Main territory: Greater Vancouver
Main focus: Condo, townhouse specialists and residential
Number of people on team: 12 agents
Accolades, accomplishments & awards:
- eXp ICON Agent (2019-2021)
- MLS Top 10% Individual (2010-2014)
- MLS Top 1% Individual (2015-2018)
- MLS Top 10% Team (2019-2021)
- Top 200 Agent Canada (2016)
When and why did you join eXp?
“January 1, 2019. I switched because of revenue share, equity and leads. I stayed because of the amazing collaboration.”
What makes eXp special to you?
“The culture and future vision and the people in the company.”
What is one thing about eXp that surprised you?
“The collaboration. Being able to interview and learn from agents doing 600-1,700 deals and having easy access to them has been incredible.”
Best tip to share with other agents:
“Take advantage of this collaboration and learn and get better at your business.”
10 Fun Things About John Tsai
- I’ve had the same hairstyle since 1996.
- I am an extreme introvert.
- I have OCD.
- I eat the same things all the time, the same dish at every restaurant.
- I can dance.
- I can sing.
- I own a Lamborghini but only drive a maximum of 70 kilometers per hour (about 43 miles per hour. The speed limits in British Columbia are 50 km/h within municipalities, and 80 km/h outside of municipalities).
- I have three cars but Uber everywhere.
- I have three siblings and they are at least 10 years older than I am.
- I have 29,000 followers on Instagram and 5,000 friends on Facebook, but only ever really hang out with two friends.
Interested in jump-starting your real estate career? Learn how eXp Realty puts agents first.